View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently August 16th, 2018, 4:54 pm

Reply to topic  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 (CLOSED)Out of the Darkness 
Veteran Game Master
Veteran Game Master

Looking to see if anyone is interested in playtesting a house rule set up I'm toying with that takes advantage of the fact that play by forum requires a GM. The jist is as followes:

Game setup
Player numbers assigned at random
Everyone picks or draws a race in secret.
Everyone draws a prelim
Everyone is dealt 3 map hexs from the map deck (generated per RAW. 4 hexs if using large galaxy)
Each player places the 3 (or 4) map hexs around their home system, PMing the placement to the GM.
Speaker is randomlt assighned.

The game then starts in what I am calling the "Fog" phase.

During the start of the game only the home system locations and Mecotal Rex are known to all players. Each individual player can "see" their home system, MR, and the tiles they placed. Though you know where your neighbors HS are you do not know WHO they are or even what tech they have.

When you activate a system and move a ship into a system, that system is revealed to you and you may resolve and domain counters and claim planets as normal. Any system you move through is also revealed to you. If you activate a system that is illegal, or try to move through a red system, that system is revealed to you and you may choose to activate a different one (so you don't have to worry about blundering into a gravity well or somthing. You would have the choice to go some place else).

If you activate a system containing an unrevealed (to you) other players ships you have to fight or retreat. You then 'discover' them and may trade and deal with them as normal. If you activate a system with another unrevealed players units other than ships (space docks, pds, gfs, etc) they are revealed to you also. If you attemlt to fly through a system with another players ships they are revealed and it is treated the same as trying to fly through a red system.

During the Fog phase whoever picks the assembly card chooses the speaker and may either use the cards secondary or if they do not name themselves speaker they may resolve one random Law PC. There are no galaxtic assemblies during the fog phase.

Also during the fog phase when someone plays the Trade Card instead of aproving TAs they get an action card. Anyone can establish a TA with any race they have discovered, but only races they have discovered.

During the Fog phase all status order for unrevealed races are seceret. You will not be aware of the objectives claimed or Victory points of any race you have not discovered, nor there CC amounts.

You can still barter for timing of SCs and give TGs and such. But this is all facilitated "through the custodians" so you do not know the race who your trading with. Same thing with playing ACs that target a player/race. You can play signal jamming on "race 2" even though you don't know what race player 2 is. For this reason during the fog phase th e diplomacy forms will all be "player 1 to player 2". Once the fog is lifted I can go through and rename them so they aren't confusing the rest of the game.

The Fog phase ends at the end of the Status Phase following some one claiming Mecatol Rex. At that time wvery tile explored by anyone is revealed to everyone, all races are revealed, and the game plays on per RAW with the execption th at unexplored tiles are still unrevealed until someone, anyone, activates or moves through them.

Assembky reverts to normal, as does Trade.

Whoever ends the Fog phase gains 1VP.

My hope is that the rounds durinf the fog phase go oretty quickly, since there wont be much player to player wheeling and dealing early on, but it could concevably last as long as the players allow it to. I could see situations where some players benefit from it more than others, maybe even some one wiuld park a fleet at MR not taking the planet, just to keep it going and keep there expanding empire a secret as long as possibel. I'm not sure how it would go.... but I'm curious to find out.

I'd like at least 5 players to try it out. Preferably 6. Then the players can decide if they want random races or to pick races. I'm thinking I'd do the pick races like this: You PM me your choice, if 2 or more players pick the same race they both must pick a new race. If we run out of races by some stroke of luck we go random.

From there players can vote on large or regular galaxy, space mines, Mercs, the usual options. I'm going to include DS and FF, but not adjacent to home systems. I will also randomly place artifact tokens in the galaxy, one for each player. I'll number the planets and use a trusty excel rng to handle that part.

Given the unique structure, I'll likely hand pick a couple objectives to place in the objective deck, and a couple to exclude from it. Will play with prelims and SOs and artifacts, so I'll leave it to the players on how many VPs to play with.

In the first portion of the game it will likely be paced by me, the GM, but to keep it movinf smoothly I'd ask for a group of reliable responsive players to test it out. I'll post individual screen shots for each player during the fog phase on my google drive and PM the links to each respective player, then once the fog is lifted I'll post my running "master" log file and we will pick up as normal (minus any unrevealed tiles of course).

So..... anyone interested in this wacky, overly complicated, bound to be a little rough idea?

Edit, olayer numbers have been randomly assigned
Out of the Darkness
P1: Polter
P2: Saltlake -Race choice sent
P3: Everpksed -Race choice sent
P4: cancerous -Race choice sent
P5: Ag3nt
P6: Anilar

Imperium Rising 2: GM
Stellar Soup Opera: The Embers of Muaat
Epic Imperium 2: Sardakk N'Orr

Last edited by AbandonAllHope on December 28th, 2017, 12:42 am, edited 7 times in total.

December 21st, 2017, 7:33 pm
Veteran Game Master
Veteran Game Master

I could be interested...it is really laborious for you so be sure to have enought time to manage it!

December 21st, 2017, 7:38 pm
Veteran Game Master
Veteran Game Master

Indeed it will be. I am hoping I can have everything set up over vacation so when I return it will be less intense. Also I have some work travel coming up, which means evenings with no wide and kids, so as good a time as any to try this out.

I'll count you as a solid maybe....

December 21st, 2017, 7:40 pm
Expert Game Master
Expert Game Master

I will play. It sounds weird, but weird could be good.

Also, AbandonAllHope, to help you facilitate, I could maintain my own Vassal map until we all are revealed. It would somewhat cut down on your burden.

Epic Imperium 2 - Mentak
Galactic Dominance - GM

December 21st, 2017, 8:38 pm
Veteran Game Master
Veteran Game Master

I can give it a try too. I think that each player should keep his own log and GM one with all movew and whole picture.

December 21st, 2017, 9:00 pm
Expert Game Master
Expert Game Master

I used to play something similar in chess when my dad was alive. It is called krigspiel. One player is the moderator, and two other players sit in different rooms with their own boards. The moderator informs both players of any checks, any pawns that are eligible to take a piece, etc. This could be a lot of fun.

Epic Imperium 2 - Mentak
Galactic Dominance - GM

December 21st, 2017, 9:12 pm

Interested as well :-)

December 21st, 2017, 10:19 pm

Sounds interesting

I can play if you are short on manpower
really prefer 6 players map

December 22nd, 2017, 5:33 am

I wouldn't mind trying it out. If there is room for me.

Out of the Darkness - Player 6

December 22nd, 2017, 5:59 am
Veteran Game Master
Veteran Game Master

Awesome, of Agent confirms he is in I'll request a forum and we can get started!

You guys want random races or picked races, because I can start that now and send out prelims and map tiles.

SC deck I am thinking is:
Leadership
Diplomacy II
Assembly II (alternate rules during Fog)
Production
Trade 2 (or 3 if mercs are in, alternate rules during Fog)
Warefare II
Technology II
Bureacracy

My default assumption is Leaders, MUs, Racial Tech, Flag Ships are all in. If anyone wants to take any of those out the players can vote on it. Same if we want to skip political intrigue or go with one of the non raw assembly methods (PcTGs and the 2PCs showing, draw one play one discard one method).

December 22nd, 2017, 1:06 pm
Reply to topic   [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next