View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently December 16th, 2017, 8:23 pm

Reply to topic  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Twilight Imperium Fourth Edition announced! 
Resident Code Monkey
Resident Code Monkey

Just saw this. Haven't had a chance take look through it though.

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/t ... -showcase/

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/n ... h-edition/

EDIT: Rules are online now https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/n ... -twilight/

August 11th, 2017, 4:30 pm

Beat me to the punch.

The tech changes sound like they could be a nice improvement.

August 11th, 2017, 5:10 pm

Wow :D Unexpected.

August 11th, 2017, 5:48 pm
Novice Game Master
Novice Game Master

I am interested but I am not sure I am going to order it yet, not without some more info to see the extent of the changes.

I like a lot of what they seem to be going for. MR is worth points now, you have to neighbor people to trade, and politics happen twice every round. It looks like they are trying to increase player interaction, whether through conflict or deal making, and that is always a good thing. One of the problems with TI3 is that it can be a very static game. People, particularly less experienced players, tend to huddle in their slice of the galaxy, so hopefully this will add more dynamism.

I am curious how the tech system will work since you cover over the ship with a card. Can you only have 1 tech affecting each unit type now? Can you trade them out?

I would have liked to see a change to the combat system. Maybe like in Game of Thrones where you have a set of leaders who you can only play once until you play all of them. They could have kept the dice even, and had leaders do weird race specific things (maybe a Naalu leader gets a free CP to retreat with, or a Sol leader can spawn more GF before an invasion) . Not too disappointed though as TI3 combat is serviceable.

Still not enough to get me to bite yet. I play TI3 pretty much exclusively here now (because I do not have enough people for a 6-8 hour game). TI3 made sense while I was in college and could gather those people.

August 12th, 2017, 3:17 pm
Resident Code Monkey
Resident Code Monkey

My thoughts so far are similar to yours, banzailizard.

It sounds to me like a lot of those changes could be house-ruled with TI3 components, definitely Trade, MR, and the new Assembly step. So, I want to try it out but I'm not sure the changes make me want to buy it. It's supposed to come out in the fourth quarter of this year, so I can hope to see a test version in Essen.

Otherwise, I gotta say I love the new artwork. If anybody is looking for a new wallpaper, the background images of the showcase page are in sufficiently high resolution for many screens, e.g. this clash of Xxcha and Letnev infantry: https://images-cdn.fantasyflightgames.c ... tep_03.jpg

August 12th, 2017, 8:28 pm

Was exited, but after reading more, dont now if i want 4th edition. Maybe some ideas to bring in to 3rd edition. Like trading or politics. Need to see more.
But right now to spend that kind of money on basic the same, not really worth it right now.

August 13th, 2017, 3:59 pm
Novice Game Master
Novice Game Master

Yeah I'll wait until I can get a peek at the rule book before laying down money for this. I just invested in my TI 3rd edition set last year.... I need to get more mileage out of it!

New Beginning - The Embers of Muaat

August 14th, 2017, 12:55 pm
Veteran Game Master
Veteran Game Master

I might consider it if it includes an equal amount of content to TI3 + all expansions.

August 14th, 2017, 1:27 pm
Resident Code Monkey
Resident Code Monkey

The rules are online now (split into Learn to Play guide and Rules reference): https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/n ... -twilight/

August 15th, 2017, 11:39 pm
Apprentice Game Master
Apprentice Game Master

Yikes! Some interesting ideas but some eyebrow raising stuff too. I'd love to think that their playtesting has smoothed out issues but I'm not very confident. Some initial thoughts after a quick scan through (and I could be dead wrong about some of this if it's countered somewhere else and I missed it).

* Some great, great rewording. Modular abilities (Space Cannon, Production, Bombardment...), clarifying adjacency and some others. Rulebook is alphabetical. Probably harder for any newbie to make sense of, but could be great for actual reference (time will tell, stuff is also out of order - SC are scattered throughout rather than in one place for example). Much of this is already the sort of rewording that various flavors of house rules already do, but it's nice that it's cleaner in the book.

* Deals/Transactions - dafuk? *one* transaction with *one* player per action, and you have to be neighbors (by the new definition)??? That is a huge, huge change for any serious players. Maybe it does make for a cleaner game, or maybe it actually slows things down as you try to negotiate some weird deal where A gives to B on one turn and B gives C on another turn... Going to be a massive change unless I'm missing something. At least, the way I play I have never had a game where I haven't seen a bunch of TG floating around on complex turns.

* Leadership is unlimited at 3 influence a pop. Sitting on a stack of TG and/or 18 influence and you took leadership? How about 9 or 10 CC this turn! It's just CC, no big deal. I worry that this give a huge advantage to game leaders while further kicking those on the fringe. 5 influence gets you 1 CC, 12 influence gets you 4 CC... that is going to smart if someone just took your stuff last turn and you want to get back at them.

* Commodities/Trade is very interesting. I could see it working quite well or being kind of terrible. I'd love to see it in action and see how it goes.

* Production=> Construction seems like they want everyone to turtle. Devoting an entire SC to building docks and then... PDS? How can that possibly be fine across all the races and positions? This card seems like an interesting idea that is just waiting to wreck games based on location of players and races... I hope I'm wrong. On thing that that's interesting is that if you want to build a dock you might have to lock your fleet depending on the timing of the card. That could be fun. :D

* Agendas/refreshing planets... another interesting idea. I *hate* that you're just flipping over the top cards in the deck and voting on them. The rest... not sure, could be fun.

* Tech changes could be great, I'd like to see actual wording of the techs.

* Warfare: :cry: :cry: :cry:

My bottom line: For $150 I'm underwhelmed. Seems like it could be a minor step up over TI3 but some things are very different and some things I really hate (PN for example) are in the core game now, and I have a sinking feeling looking at what we can tell of things like Flagship abilities... I hope I'm wrong but I wonder about the merits of upgrading. I'd love to hear other reactions!

August 16th, 2017, 12:46 am
Reply to topic   [ 38 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next