Unable to select a position as a player joining a game

Post any problems with and technical questions about VASSAL, the board and the wiki here.
paulHarkonen

Unable to select a position as a player joining a game

Post by paulHarkonen » November 6th, 2018, 4:57 pm

I am attempting to step in to a game that is already in progress and am having a bunch of issues logging\locking in.

When I open the log file for the first time I don't get the usual pop-up to select a player or observer. It seems like the game just automatically logged me in as an observer.

I attempted to retire (the button wasn't visible when I initially tried, but I was able to make it appear briefly by restarting vassal and clicking it very quickly while the game is loading in all the various assets) and when I do my options are "join as observer", "join as another side" and cancel. If I click join as another side my only option is "observer".

None of these have let me actually get to the screen to select which player I'm going to log in as.

If anyone has any ideas for what might be going on and how to resolve it, please let me know. I'm a bit hesitant to totally uninstall then reinstall because I am locked in another game and want to make sure that isn't disrupted as well.

Sunchaser
Resident Code Monkey
Resident Code Monkey

Re: Unable to select a position as a player joining a game

Post by Sunchaser » November 7th, 2018, 10:20 am

This sounds like the previous player hasn't properly retired from their position.
Do you really want to know what I want? I want my people to reclaim their rightful place in the galaxy. I want a rebirth of glory, a renaissance of power! I want us to be what we used to be!