View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently December 16th, 2017, 8:43 pm

Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Here I Stand - Turn 1 
Novice Game Master
Novice Game Master

So on October 31st, 1517 Martin Luther nailed his 95 Thesis to the door of the church in Wittenberg. This started the protestant reformation, and the game here I stand is based off this period. The 500th anniversary of the Thesis is coming up and the publisher is putting out a new printing. I ordered one, and I am gathering people I know to play. There is a vassal version which is complete as far as I know. I wanted to see if there was any interest in have a PBF game of it. I do not think there would really be a need for a GM. There are card draws, but I think we could deal on the honor system. Dice could be rolled on forum as needed.

Edit: adding a list of potential players. (3/6)

Interested parties:

Banzailizard
marsman57
Everpksed

Last edited by banzailizard on October 31st, 2017, 3:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.

September 24th, 2017, 1:00 am
Veteran Game Master
Veteran Game Master

I'm probably not going to be able to invest in the game myself now given that I have about 5 other comprehensive games that are unplayed, but I'd be down to trying a run through on Vassal if you get it going.

September 25th, 2017, 5:35 am
Novice Game Master
Novice Game Master

That is basically what I am trying to do right now, gather people for a PBF game. We would need 6 people in total, one for each state (Protestants, Papacy, Hapsburg, French, Ottomans, and English).

I guess it might be helpful to summarize the game mechanics if that gets people interested.

This is a card driven war game. Each round you will draw a hand of cards (the exact amount depends on a number of factors) with an event and a CP value. On your turn (called impulses in the rules) you can either play a card for resources (CP) to build troops, move troops, declare war and peace, etc. or play the event. Events can affect the game board of can come up in battle (for example a card might make your opponent's mercenaries abandon them in a battle). Some cards are mandatory events, though they grant CP as compensation.

Each round starts with a secret diplomacy phase with a set order (e.g. England goes off with the Hapsburg, then goes off with France, then the papacy, etc and always in the same order) You can agree to pretty much anything. For example you can agree not to play an event that harms another power, or to play one that helps them. Mechanically you can also declare war/sue for peace, form a 1 turn alliance, offer a card, agree to give up a space, lend troops if you are in an alliance, etc. If you offer a card it is randomly drawn from your hand.

Every nation has a power card. It must be played before you pass but does some strong things.

Ottomans - gain 4 free units or add 5 dice to land combat or 4 to naval (as reference each regular unit adds 1 die so this is strong)
Hapsburg - Let's you move your faction leader anywhere in your country (important since you have a lot of space) and gives you 5 free CP (most cards give 1-3)
Protestant - Pick up a discarded card from the discard pile, or let's you use your faction leader (Luther) for a debate instead of another debtor (Luther is good at debates) stops working if Luther is dead
Pope - can excommunicate people (they draw 1 less card or if a protestant debtor they cannot be used this round) and start a debate to push back the protestants
England - can declare war with France Hapsburgs or Scotland in the middle of a round rather then in diplomacy, gains 5 CP or can role for a new wife and a new heir.
France - gain a VP automatically if you have Milan or roll (66% chance) otherwise. Stops working when Francis I dies.

The goal is to earn VP. Everyone (except protestants) can earn VP by taking keys (important points on the map), and doing so also offers you more card draws. If you conquer enough you auto win. That is hard to do, as everyone will turn against you. Each power has their own unique way of generating VP too:

Ottomans - mostly conquest but also VP through raiding other players by sea.
Hapsburgs - can colonize in the new world, wants to keep control of the HRE, needs to hold on to their vast territories.
France - wants to build a chateau (home card). They can also look to the new world.
England - Henry VII wants a son and heir but needs the pope's blessing for a divorce, or to convert to protestant, also has the new world open.
Protestant - translate the bible, take control of the HRE electors, and can auto win if enough places are protestant (cannot win via keys).
Papacy - wants control of Italy, to build up Rome, and of course to beat back the protestants.

First to 25 VP wins. If someone gets I think 10 points ahead of everyone they win as well even if not at 25.

There are admittedly a lot of other rules but chunks are not relevant for different factions. Only the papacy and protestants need to know about religious conversions, only the ottomans and Hapsburg (maybe France) need to know about raiding, the protestants do not have a navy at all, etc. The rest of the rules are how to conduct battles and sieges, what to do with leaders, how to carry out other actions etc.

October 1st, 2017, 2:32 pm
Veteran Game Master
Veteran Game Master

I would definitely like to play. I played this game several years ago so it has been a while, but this era of history has always intrigued me. If there is a spot I will play.

October 1st, 2017, 4:56 pm
Novice Game Master
Novice Game Master

Everpksed wrote:
I would definitely like to play. I played this game several years ago so it has been a while, but this era of history has always intrigued me. If there is a spot I will play.

Well I did add you to the short list I have going. Technically 3 is enough with each player picking up 2 civs. Pope and Hapsburg are natural allies, as are England and the protestants. France and the Ottomans have similar anti-Hapsburg interests.

That being said more is better. I think I will wait until the 31st to see if anyone else want to jump on.

October 6th, 2017, 3:19 am
Veteran Game Master
Veteran Game Master

That's perfectly fine with me. I believe the more, the merrier.

October 6th, 2017, 8:06 am
Novice Game Master
Novice Game Master

I sent a PM to the Everpksed and marsman57 but I want to post this here as an fyi to anyone who is interested. I am going to start distributing nations in the next few days. If you want to play speak now.

October 25th, 2017, 3:31 pm
Novice Game Master
Novice Game Master

Ok looking at the module, we will be somewhat on the honor system. You need to login each time for each different power meaning you could look at other player's hands.

First up is marsman57 for rolling the protestants for the 95 Thesis. Wittenberg flips to protestant and gets 2 regulars and Martin Luthor. We can roll on forum fro that just say which cities you are targeting. If you score any 6's you auto win right now. If not I need to make a counter roll for the pope.

After this we will draw cards and get into the meat of the game.

October 31st, 2017, 3:46 pm
Veteran Game Master
Veteran Game Master

Target Bradenenburg. I believe it is 4 dice (1 adjacent, 1 reformer, 1 stack, 95 theses)

[dice]4d6[/dice]

October 31st, 2017, 4:51 pm
Veteran Game Master
Veteran Game Master

Am I doing something incorrect or are we not enabled for dice rolling on the forum?

October 31st, 2017, 4:52 pm
Reply to topic   [ 63 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next