View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently September 19th, 2018, 1:52 pm

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 Fog of War 
Veteran Game Master
Veteran Game Master

Playing with an idea that would require alot of GM work, but I think could be pretty fun if it worked.

Basically the set up would be this: at the start of the game all player races are seceret. Each player knows the tiles around his HS and MR only. Tiles are revealed to each player as they move through the galaxy. Any tile you move through is revealed and any tile you activate is revealed as well as adjacent tiles.

If you activate a tile you are not allowed to (like an astroid field or super nova) it is revealed but that activation does not count and you must activate a different system.

If you activate a system another player is in, their race is revealed and you can choose to fight them or perform a free retreat as if by skilled retreat.

Once someone reaches MR, all races are revealed, and politics/assembly can kick in.

After the first politics session all of the revealed tiles and ship placements can be seen by everyone.

Obviously for this to work some things would need to be tweeked. Like the politics or assembly cards will be oretty useless until someone reaches MR, and trade is impossible until you meet some one.

I think it could be interesting though, no one know what anyone else is doing for the first several rounds.

Thoughts?

December 21st, 2017, 4:37 pm
Veteran Game Master
Veteran Game Master

It would be vassal nightmare.
Also no speaker changes if assembly is out.

December 21st, 2017, 5:04 pm
Veteran Game Master
Veteran Game Master

Indeed it would be. Could use the initiative card instead of assembly, or modify assembky in some way during the time until someone takes MR.

I had a couple ideas on how a GM could manage this portion of the game without going insane, because obviously until after the first assembly ni one but the GM would have the full picture, hence no one but the GM would be keeping a vassal log. (Or at least a complete one).

There is ko question it would be a pain in the ass for the GM to run this. The questionn is, would it be fun to play?

December 21st, 2017, 5:37 pm
Veteran Game Master
Veteran Game Master

Other changes, obviously the map generation would need to be different. I think how I would handle that is deal out 3 tiles to each olayer and let them place them around there home system, then the GM deals out the rest of the tiles on the map producing a random galaxy. Potential fornsome people to luck out and others to get screwed, but thats life eh?

To keep it interesting (and not draw out the fog rounds too long) I think I'd make the first PO "I control MR", and give the custodians a little boost in firepower.

December 21st, 2017, 5:42 pm
Veteran Game Master
Veteran Game Master

The more I think about it, the more I want to see how this would play out. I might just out a strategy deck together, and see if anyonenis interested in trying it.

Say you play with.... leadership, diplomacy 2, assembly, production, trade 3, tech2 and buracracy.

During the fog portion you could have it so who picked assembly picks speaker and can use its secondary, and who when trade is picked you get TGs equal to yiur highest TA, or perhaps the average of your two TAs rounded down. This would motivate the more militaristic races into expansion rather than sitting back and building up during the fog.

Another option for assembly is until the fog is lofted, whoever picks assembly can either become speaker and use the secondary or pick someone else for speaker and resolve a random Law PC however they want. (Not an elect player or planet, would need to be a law)

Then have at it!

Hmmm, if there are people interested maybe I'll start now, I'm curious how this would go

December 21st, 2017, 6:40 pm
Veteran Game Master
Veteran Game Master

You should talk With evernoob. He once hosted a game like that which was extremely fun.

December 22nd, 2017, 7:45 am
Veteran Game Master
Veteran Game Master

Well we have kicked off a game trying out my concept of Fog of War rules. Anyone interested in how it goes can peek in on the Out of the Darkness game forum. Once the "Fog has been Lifted" (Some one takes MR for the first time) I'll post a master log thread in the log forum with everyone moves which had previously been done in secret. Everyone wish these brave souls luck as the explore the dangers of the void!

Polter
Saltlake
Everpksed
cancerous
A3gent
Anilar.

Godspeed!

December 24th, 2017, 4:06 pm
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]