View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently July 19th, 2018, 2:16 am

Reply to topic  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Shattered Ascension rules, anyone? 
Veteran Game Master
Veteran Game Master

Let's do it bro. *cracks knuckles*

August 17th, 2015, 11:50 pm

Bring it on sister :hit:

"Who me? Never!"

August 17th, 2015, 11:54 pm
Apprentice Game Master
Apprentice Game Master

Okay! I'm busy tonight but I'll see if we can't get a forum setup and stuff rolling by sometime later this week. Now that I know that there are some SA specific political cards we'll have to do it where I keep the deck and PM you your cards if we want to do it by the book. If you really want cards via vassal we can make that happen but you won't have the additional SA cards that way.

August 18th, 2015, 1:41 am
Apprentice Game Master
Apprentice Game Master

Our fearless leader (Sunchaser) is quite busy at the moment, but we'll hope to have a forum sometime later this week. Then we can move into that and discuss details.

August 18th, 2015, 5:35 pm

You're playing SA? Coolness! Let me know if I can help with graphical components or whatnot.

August 19th, 2015, 12:58 pm

Soo, do I need to be aware of all current bullet points on http://www.astralvault.net/games/SA ?

I'm assuming all points are in flux or change due to upcoming V4.2. Have some been changed that aren't applicable to V4.0? Is there plans to change some while we play our game, thus I will need to remember applicable rules?

Or more simply is there a master download for all the rules/components for V4.0 that I'm missing?

"Who me? Never!"

August 19th, 2015, 5:34 pm
Apprentice Game Master
Apprentice Game Master

Ah, that's my bad. When I started this thread, some time ago, I was just coming back off a long break and didn't want to pitch something that I didn't know - so I suggested 4.0.

Now that I've brushed the rust off and absorbed things a bit, we really want to use the latest rules (4.2 beta). There is no point in spending a lot of time learning the (now outdated and pre-shards) 4.0 rule set. 4.2 is "close" to stable again, I think. There are just tweaks and testing being wrangled now.

So to recap, the tech tree is here. The Strategy Cards are here. The rules we will be using are here. You can look at race sheets and other stuff, but those three will be "enough" for players to look at and we'll just not sweat the finer details too much. It's a learning game!

Sadly, one of the things that is currently lacking is a nice complete package to download. However, this is going to be a grand experiment and not for the feint of heart - learning SA and duel at the same time should be crazy but fun! I'll walk you both through the setup and first steps and be super redundant so no one will get lost.

EDIT: Also, if you've already read 4.0 you'll notice that really not much of the core changes to 4.2 anyway. It's mostly how to handle the new components from Shards and some rebalancing stuff, though a few new ideas also make their way in.

August 19th, 2015, 5:51 pm
Apprentice Game Master
Apprentice Game Master

PsiComa wrote:
You're playing SA? Coolness! Let me know if I can help with graphical components or whatnot.

As (almost?) no one on this board has played any SA, I think the single biggest thing that would be helpful is updating the patch rules or the main rule book and reformatting the website to have a "start here" aspect to it. The quick-start guide, if you will. New players don't really need to look at all the objectives, new cards and race sheets right off the bat. In my opinion having a downloadable bundle cheat sheet of tech tree, strategy cards and latest rules would be great. I know where to go for all of those things, but a new player visits the site and is confronted with "what of these 15 things should I download first?" If you pretend your new, and ask yourself "how do I find the strategy cards?" - it turns out that they are 11th on the list and it would be easy for a new player to just not make it there at all before starting a game, as they are reading all kinds of other things first. And they are one of the most important changes in the SA rules! At least in terms of how often you use them. ;)

Obviously, I know how many other irons you have in the fire already, so put that on the back burner if you like - but I think it would help new players to the rules get their feet wet! ;)

For this game I think I'm going to set it up like the one we already have going but link to more stuff in the forums. I've had some PMs going round about VASSAL extensions but that is going to come down the road I guess. That means updating the map and doing lots of hand holding as we go along, but it will be worth it to get some veteran players hooked on this great set of rules! :D

August 19th, 2015, 6:10 pm

I see your working on the vassal mods atm and should be great. I have also seen there is some talk on you forums about steams table top simulator which I was considering getting, so most likely will now :D

I do agree, some sort of "Where to start guide" for SA would be useful. I am pretty proficient in looking at all the info but it is definitely a bit muddle, especially if you come to it as a newbie like me.

"Who me? Never!"

August 19th, 2015, 8:28 pm
Apprentice Game Master
Apprentice Game Master

m4matteo wrote:
I see your working on the vassal mods atm and should be great. I have also seen there is some talk on you forums about steams table top simulator which I was considering getting, so most likely will now :D

I do agree, some sort of "Where to start guide" for SA would be useful. I am pretty proficient in looking at all the info but it is definitely a bit muddle, especially if you come to it as a newbie like me.

I had the advantage of playing in a table top group with a bunch of house rules that had a lot of overlap with SA rules (and some collaboration going on there IIRC), but even so that first game was quite a shock. It was well worth it though. ;) The GM was none other than the fantastic Magic_Octopus who is Xxcha in the currently running duel.

Speaking of duels, we have our forum! Later tonight I'll add players to the groups and get us rolling... slowly at first. ;)

August 19th, 2015, 9:09 pm
Reply to topic   [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next