View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently July 19th, 2018, 2:17 am

Reply to topic  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Shattered Ascension rules, anyone? 
Apprentice Game Master
Apprentice Game Master

Thanks, I'll do that!

Out of curiosity for anyone watching this thread, what type of game are you most interested in? There are two basic ways this could go down, listed in the order of how soon a game could start:

1) Another two player game where VASSAL is used "as-is" and the relevant art is posted in the forum (strategy cards, changed wording on some other stuff). This could happen in a week or two if the players are quite comfortable doing their own VASSAL moves and updating. Aside from the learning curve, two player games are quite easy to setup, play and GM so I have no problem GMing another one on autopilot if the players can handling pushing plastic around.

2) Waiting for a VASSAL extension or other work around to get the basic components "correctly" displayed in the client. This would be needed for teaching the rules in a larger game (4-6 player would be a good starting place), and probably also better for two player games as well. This will probably take some time but I really don't know how long. I don't think it's a lot of work if I knew what I was doing, but I expect it will take me some time to figure it all out.

August 12th, 2015, 1:32 am

Well I'm keen on option 1 first but would definitely consider option 2. The two games I am left in are about to wrap up, so I can focus on just these. My brother is keen to play a SA, but he's only semi convinced to play it over PBF. I've been in a good few games on here now, from the start and replacements. (also plenty more live games with all exspansions, as I own them). Havent played SA rules but read them and sounds interesting....

"Who me? Never!"

August 12th, 2015, 11:01 pm
Apprentice Game Master
Apprentice Game Master

I think they would be somewhat harder to learn with the wild ride that is 2 player, but if you look at how the other game is going, they are setup, bid and halfway through turn one in a few days. If you were playing with your brother and could be updating the map and rolling stuff yourself you could easily do a game in two weeks or so (+/- a week depending on your speed). That said, you will probably be somewhat slower your first time given the need to double check rules and so on. Both players in the other game are quite experienced with SA rules and 2 player games (PsiComa is actually the author of the rules pack).

The other good new is: if it's just you and him you can always bail after a turn or two if it doesn't float your boat - you're not ruining a game for anyone else! ;)

August 12th, 2015, 11:16 pm

Haha, I live for harder!!!

First board game I ever owned was ti3 with all expansions!!

I now own things like Runewars, Twilight Struggle, Fire in the Lake, Exodus: Proxima Centauri and REX: Final Days (maybe not massive but Ti3 themed :)) . All these have massive rule sets (If you have never looked at a GMT rules manual, all I can say is that it is easy to nod off reading it!! :S)

I have read the SA rules a good few times now, played a few makeshift 2 player games in my time and I would like to think I would be hard to beat, even in SA rules.

"Who me? Never!"

August 12th, 2015, 11:57 pm
Apprentice Game Master
Apprentice Game Master

Haha, sounds like you'll do just fine. Twilight Struggle is a great game! I cut my teeth on Star Fleet Battles. That's a game that takes every bit of Star Trek rules-lawyery nerdom and then goes a step further. Five pages of rules just for how to use a cloaking device that you probably won't use anyway? Sign me up! ;)

Okay, so back to business: I've got a VASSAL save of the map First Contact ready to go. With the other game I have been just PMing cards and the players are looking elsewhere anyway due to changes in the various cards and components. If that works for you and your brother we could get a game going later this week or whenever your other games are done as you like. If you want to wait a bit we might be able to get a few basic things into the VASSAL client (like strategy cards) first.

The other thing to think about: I'm happy to GM but I'm doing all the updating of the other game. I'd rather not bite off more than I can chew so I'd only take on players who are going to do the VASSAL updating themselves (or just one player could do it) for moves, SC and so on. I can deal cards and lurk for rules questions and so on. In a pinch I could also roll combat, but in a two player game it's actually kind of fun if the players can both be on and roll it up themselves (either via VASSAL or just on chat with a dice logger). It makes combat more fun IMO, but either way is fine.

August 13th, 2015, 12:36 am
Veteran Game Master
Veteran Game Master

I'm a bit busy at the moment as I just got tapped to sub in a crazy Diplomacy variant (GM makes up new rule changes every phase!), but I am generally interested in playing SA either in 2-player or a larger game at some point.

August 13th, 2015, 1:54 pm
Apprentice Game Master
Apprentice Game Master

I'm sure there will be more games. Just hit me up when you have time to update stuff yourself and I would be happy to GM (or maybe there will even be other 2 player GMs by that point...).

On the old wiki site we even had a 16 player KO tournament with these 2 player games. :D And while I'm at it, we had some larger tournaments with 8p games where the top X would advance so you could play for 2nd place... good times! ;)

August 13th, 2015, 2:23 pm

Looks as if my brother is chickening out getting into PBF but still wants to play SA rules in a live game.

Im still keen to play a 2 player against another active player, your other game is going very fast! I like it

"Who me? Never!"

Last edited by m4matteo on August 17th, 2015, 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

August 17th, 2015, 3:35 pm
Apprentice Game Master
Apprentice Game Master

I think that's the key. These things take a matter of weeks when both players are active. If you want to find some other old hand you know to be open to new rules and can do their own VASSAL updates go ahead and challenge them! Other than people who have expressed interest in this thread, Ag3nt has expressed interest in a 2 player game. I know he's fairly active, but I don't know if he'd be interested in doing any updating. It's fairly easy to take the map screenshots and keep it up to date that way, so in theory only one person needs to be doing the vassal stuff. On the old wiki we'd log into a web based dice log program that would log our rolls and do combat with just the two players, or sometimes attacker does combat (it's a bit faster that way). I'd be happy to roll stuff and deal cards but I don't want to be keeping track of map updates for more than one game at a time right now.

August 17th, 2015, 4:05 pm

Was hoping someone would chime in more quickly then that :P

"Who me? Never!"

August 17th, 2015, 9:42 pm
Reply to topic   [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next