View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently November 21st, 2018, 8:55 am

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 Mass Effect - Systems Alliance 
Novice Game Master
Novice Game Master

Systems Alliance

Expansionist: When you take control of a planet, place 1 GF on that planet from your reinforcements

Armored Carriers: Your carriers roll +1 in combat and have the Sustain Damage ability

Adaptable: You may spend Command Counters as if they were Trade Goods

Starting Techs: Hylar V Assault Lasers, Antimass Deflectors

Racial Tech: Parallel VI Array (4 resources) You may reorganize your Command Counters freely during your turn

Racial Tech: Tantalus Drive Core (6 resources) Your Cruisers, Dreadnaughts, and Carriers have +1 movement

Homeworld: Earth (3,1), Arcturus Station (0,2, Fighter refresh ability)

Trade: 2,2

Starting Units: (11.5) 2 Carriers, 1 Destroyer, 4 Fighters, 5 Ground Forces, 1 Space Dock

Leaders: Admiral, Diplomat, Scientist

January 14th, 2014, 5:07 am
Novice Game Master
Novice Game Master

Notes: Yes, they're the humans of the galaxy, and thematically they have a lot in common with TI's Sol such as the focus on carriers and rapid colonization/population expansion. But, I think they're different enough that it won't feel like playing a clone.

January 14th, 2014, 5:48 pm

obsidian_tower wrote:
Systems Alliance

Expansionist: When you take control of a planet, place 1 GF on that planet from your reinforcements

Armored Carriers: Your carriers roll +1 in combat and have the Sustain Damage ability

Adaptable: You may spend Command Counters as if they were Trade Goods

Starting Techs: Hylar V Assault Lasers, Antimass Deflectors

Racial Tech: Parallel VI Array (4 resources) You may reorganize your Command Counters freely during your turn

Racial Tech: Tantalus Drive Core (6 resources) Your Cruisers, Dreadnaughts, and Carriers have +1 movement

Homeworld: Earth (3,1), Arcturus Station (0,2, Fighter refresh ability)

Trade: 2,2

Starting Units: (11.5) 2 Carriers, 1 Destroyer, 4 Fighters, 5 Ground Forces, 1 Space Dock

Leaders: Admiral, Diplomat, Scientist

The System Alliance seems way better than the Federation of Sol. I would love to play these. I am guessing that the idea behind the design is meant to be balanced against the other races of the Mass Effect inspired universe. So I will not be comparing them against their Twilight Imperium counterpart.
Their home system is amazing, since you will be able to pump out fighters without having to build during Production from your home system and take full benefit of refreshing Assembly Secondary provided Leadership has not been played. After Production you will be sending off another small fleet consisting of 1 Carrier, 2 fighters and 2 GF. Starting off with 2 armored carriers might be a bit much. If you get to start up next to a three planet system your three troops that just landed there suddenly became 6 in total ready to move forward and multiply. I would enjoy to play these guys as an aggressive expansionist. I am certain that my closest neighbors would find me a vicious threat, wishing upon myself a swift decimation of my civilization

The racial tech for the Tantalus Drive + 1 movement is huge since it counts for three kinds of ships, costly at the same time and true to the flavour.
As for the second Tech, Parallel Array, I am not sure. It certainly is original and can make for much flexibility.

January 27th, 2014, 9:09 pm
Novice Game Master
Novice Game Master

Thanks for the feedback Nimor!

Re: Tantalus Drive Core, I wonder if making it only apply to Carriers might be better? That way they still keep their focus as a Carrier race, but without duplicating the effects of Type IV as well.

It seems many share the opinion that the ME races are quite powerful compared to the TI races. I admit they are compared to most, but I'm not sure if they'd be overpowered compared to the more powerful races like Yssaril, Jol-Nar, and Hacan.

January 28th, 2014, 5:11 am

obsidian_tower wrote:
Thanks for the feedback Nimor!

Re: Tantalus Drive Core, I wonder if making it only apply to Carriers might be better? That way they still keep their focus as a Carrier race, but without duplicating the effects of Type IV as well.

It seems many share the opinion that the ME races are quite powerful compared to the TI races. I admit they are compared to most, but I'm not sure if they'd be overpowered compared to the more powerful races like Yssaril, Jol-Nar, and Hacan.

If you decide to tweek the Tantalus Drive Core, then you can probably reduce its price a little as well. Pherhaps to 4. Apart from that , your suggestion is sound in regards to restraining the benefits to the Carrier and not the Cruisers and Dreadnoughts.

January 28th, 2014, 8:44 pm
Novice Game Master
Novice Game Master

Dropped to 3 GF since they will likely double to 6 on the first turn, as pointed out above.

Also added a Mass Effect expansion symbol at the bottom right corner.

Thanks again to Nimor for custom artwork!

November 12th, 2014, 4:23 pm
Novice Game Master
Novice Game Master

November 12th, 2014, 6:06 pm
Novice Game Master
Novice Game Master

November 12th, 2014, 8:28 pm
Novice Game Master
Novice Game Master

I've updated these guys to a burgundy palette so that blue can be used for Turian.

November 17th, 2014, 4:50 pm
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]