Mass Effect - Turian Heirarchy

The place to discuss home-brew variants and any other fan-made content
obsidian_tower
Novice Game Master
Novice Game Master

Mass Effect - Turian Heirarchy

Post by obsidian_tower » January 14th, 2014, 5:06 am

Turian Heirarchy

Overwhelming Odds: You do not have to adhere to Fleet Supply limits during the Action Phase. At the start of the Status Phase, you must remove any Turian ships in excess of each system's capacity.

Readiness: After executing the primary ability of your Strategy Card, you may immediately take a tactical action.

Starting Techs: Hylar V Assault Laser, Automated Defense Turrets

Racial Tech: Communications Deck (2 resources) Your Dreadnaughts do not count towards your Fleet Supply

Homeworld: Palavan (4,2), Menae (1,0)

Trade: 2,2

Starting Units: (14.5) 2 Dreadnaughts, 1 Carrier, 3 Ground Forces, 1 Space Dock

Leaders: Admiral, General, Diplomat

obsidian_tower
Novice Game Master
Novice Game Master

Re: Mass Effect - Turian Heirarchy

Post by obsidian_tower » January 14th, 2014, 5:35 pm

Notes on the Turians: They were absolutely overpowered in the initial playtest, so I've tried to tone them down while retaining a kickass starting fleet (since thematically they have more Dreadnaughts than anyone else by far). Overwhelming Odds is straightforward and the wording is pulled from a PC or AC that does the same thing.

I like abilities that are useful for various purposes, so Overwhelming Odds is intended to allow for a large Production buildup. However, if that turns out to be too good, it could be changed to be only during a Tactical action (and in fact it was at one point in development).

jpsuchecki
Expert Game Master
Expert Game Master

Post by jpsuchecki » January 15th, 2014, 2:30 am

You should just take away Readiness.
"The difference between insanity and genius is measured only by success." Elliot Carver -Tomorrow Never Dies

Nimor

Post by Nimor » February 25th, 2014, 9:50 pm

obsidian_tower wrote:Turian Heirarchy

Overwhelming Odds: You do not have to adhere to Fleet Supply limits during the Action Phase. At the start of the Status Phase, you must remove any Turian ships in excess of each system's capacity.

Readiness: After executing the primary ability of your Strategy Card, you may immediately take a tactical action.

Starting Techs: Hylar V Assault Laser, Automated Defense Turrets

Racial Tech: Communications Deck (2 resources) Your Dreadnaughts do not count towards your Fleet Supply

Homeworld: Palavan (4,2), Menae (1,0)

Trade: 2,2

Starting Units: (14.5) 2 Dreadnaughts, 1 Carrier, 3 Ground Forces, 1 Space Dock

Leaders: Admiral, General, Diplomat

The racial tech communications is great, but it should maybe cost more, but no more than 3. I might be wrong there, it might take a while to benefit from this tech, and its a good idea. Simple and neat. The Leaders line up you have is perfect of the likes of the Turian Heirarchy. I feel that they should at least have 1 or 2 fighters at their disposal.

obsidian_tower
Novice Game Master
Novice Game Master

Post by obsidian_tower » March 3rd, 2014, 4:12 am

jpsuchecki wrote:You should just take away Readiness.
Do you think it will be too useful? Or just that the first ability is so powerful by itself?

obsidian_tower
Novice Game Master
Novice Game Master

Post by obsidian_tower » March 3rd, 2014, 4:13 am

Nimor wrote:The racial tech communications is great, but it should maybe cost more, but no more than 3. I might be wrong there, it might take a while to benefit from this tech, and its a good idea. Simple and neat. The Leaders line up you have is perfect of the likes of the Turian Heirarchy. I feel that they should at least have 1 or 2 fighters at their disposal.
Yes, I think they would have plenty of fighters, but with 2 DN in their starting fleet, I left out the fighters so they wouldn't be completely unstoppable on turn 1 or 2.

StrangeTim
Module Developer
Module Developer

Post by StrangeTim » June 8th, 2014, 5:05 am

One thing I just noticed that I had a question about is this, why is Menae a (1,0) planet? It's a large moon, not really known for it's resources. Thematically the only reason Menae is noteworthy at all is because of the military's power there. With the Turian Hierarchy being based upon military-esque advancement, the military presence on Menae gives it much influence. With this in mind, I would think that the planet would be a (0,1). What are your thoughts?
Module Developer

GM - Encounter at Farpoint 3
GM - Lost Empires: Reclamation
Creuss - Last Stand - Dismally Dead Last
Creuss - BHR1 - 4th
Jol-nar - HoW1 - 2nd (Watch out for rorshocker, he's sneaky!)
Yin - BGGB12a

obsidian_tower
Novice Game Master
Novice Game Master

Post by obsidian_tower » June 8th, 2014, 1:00 pm

The reason for making it 1,0 is more practical than thematic. This is a race focused on fleets so I wanted to provide for a double dock in the HS.

I see your point about it not being known for resources and military being especially "influential" in Turian culture. Though, should it provide votes? It is a secret military base.

I am open to changing it. I worry the Turians may be OP as they are.

obsidian_tower
Novice Game Master
Novice Game Master

Post by obsidian_tower » November 17th, 2014, 4:41 am

Thanks again to Nimor for the custom artwork!