View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently July 19th, 2018, 2:16 am

Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 BGGB v1.5 
Resident Code Monkey
Resident Code Monkey

This is my first try at such a rule. It covers planet-specific and system-wide cards. I also tried to make sure that it does not interfere with objectives based on conquering HSs. (Note that the Assembly refresh did not need a clarification as it already says "outside your HS".)

Quote:
If a planet in a Home System is controlled by a player other than the original owner (i.e. the race home to that system), it is not considered to be a Home System planet or located in a Home System. If no units of the original owner remain in the system and he controls none of the planets, the system is consider not to be a Home System for the purposes of the Action Cards Signal Jamming and Uprising. However, a Home System always remains a Home System for the purpose of objectives (e.g. "Domination!"). Consequences of this rule include (but are not restricted to):
* Facilities can be built on conquered Home System planets of other players.
* The Action Cards Local Unrest, Secret Industrial Agent and Space Dock Accident can be played targeting Home System Planets conquered by another player.

Is the phrasing understandable? I'll be happy to change it if someone comes up with something better.

I'm planning to add redundant clarification in the Action Card section to make sure this rule is not easily missed.

September 7th, 2014, 6:46 pm
Novice Game Master
Novice Game Master

How about specifying the uses for which a foreign HS is not considered a Home System:

Ror's attempt wrote:
When a planet in a Home System is controlled by a player other than the original owner (a "foreign" Home System), it is not considered to be a Home System planet or located in a Home System for the following purposes:
• Action cards may be played against the occupier of a foreign Home System that affect the occupier's units or occupied planets in the foreign Home System, including Signal Jamming, Uprising, Local Unrest, Secret Industrial Agent and Space Dock Accident.
• Facilities can be built on conquered foreign Home System planets by an occupier.

However, a foreign Home System is still considered a Home System for the purpose of objectives (e.g. "Domination!").

Signal Jamming and Uprising strike me as cards that should be playable against an occupier in a foreign HS, particularly by a player who is trying to recover their own home system (or their ally).

September 8th, 2014, 12:22 am
Resident Code Monkey
Resident Code Monkey

That sounds better.

rorshocker wrote:
Signal Jamming and Uprising strike me as cards that should be playable against an occupier in a foreign HS, particularly by a player who is trying to recover their own home system (or their ally).

I was trying for that. I think they may need to be explained more explicitly, though. Something like:
- Signal Jamming can be used to place a Command Counter of the occupier.
- Uprising can be played if all planets in the Home System are occupied.

The latter restriction is to avoid that Uprising is used by an occupier who only conquered one of the HS planets. Uprising does not discriminate between who control the planets but just exhausts all of them.

September 8th, 2014, 12:47 pm
Veteran Game Master
Veteran Game Master

I'm definitely more okay with a wider net being cast so that conquered HS systems are not considered HS systems for all purposes rather than specifically the facilities one.

Basically, I think this discussion has definitely went in the right direction.

September 8th, 2014, 6:19 pm

What about the use of the Creuss Slave Wormhole Generator in conquered home systems?

September 9th, 2014, 3:55 pm
Resident Code Monkey
Resident Code Monkey

I think this should stay the same (i.e. an exception to the new rule like the opjectives) as it can only benefit the occupier (only works in friendly or empty systems).

Sun's second attempt wrote:
When a planet in a Home System is controlled by a player other than the original owner (a "foreign" Home System), it is not considered to be a Home System planet or located in a Home System for the following purposes:
  • Action cards may be played against the occupier of a foreign Home System that affect the occupier's units or occupied planets in the foreign Home System, including Signal Jamming, Uprising, Local Unrest, Secret Industrial Agent and Space Dock Accident. The following restrictions apply:
    • Signal Jamming can only be used to place a Command Counter of the occupier.
    • Uprising can only be played if all planets in the Home System are occupied.
  • Facilities can be built on conquered foreign Home System planets by an occupier.

However, a foreign Home System is still considered a Home System for the purpose of objectives (e.g. "Domination!") and for the Creuss racial tech Slave Wormhole Generator.

September 10th, 2014, 1:49 pm
Novice Game Master
Novice Game Master

Looks solid. Final proposed edit, to close off any ambiguity:

However, a foreign Home System is still considered a Home System for the purpose of objectives (e.g. "Domination!") and for all other purposes (e.g., the Creuss racial tech Slave Wormhole Generator).

September 10th, 2014, 2:18 pm
Veteran Game Master
Veteran Game Master

Jol-Nar dominates, the scoring board proves it: I had a simple idea: just change the wording on the Jol-Nar race-sheet from "in addition" to "instead" (Like Xxcha's ability) (for those who don't get it, currently jol-nar can purchase 3 techs for 10 resources (in BGGB) from turn 1. This is greatly reduced when playing with leaders (2scientists, 2 planets with tech discount => 3 techs for 6 resources). Changing the wording slightly only allows them to obtain a maximum of 2 techs each round.

September 10th, 2014, 5:17 pm
Resident Code Monkey
Resident Code Monkey

rorshocker wrote:
Looks solid. Final proposed edit, to close off any ambiguity:

However, a foreign Home System is still considered a Home System for the purpose of objectives (e.g. "Domination!") and for all other purposes (e.g., the Creuss racial tech Slave Wormhole Generator).

Sounds good to me. I updated the wiki page.

Zhe Tiny wrote:
Jol-Nar dominates, the scoring board proves it: I had a simple idea: just change the wording on the Jol-Nar race-sheet from "in addition" to "instead" (Like Xxcha's ability) (for those who don't get it, currently jol-nar can purchase 3 techs for 10 resources (in BGGB) from turn 1. This is greatly reduced when playing with leaders (2scientists, 2 planets with tech discount => 3 techs for 6 resources). Changing the wording slightly only allows them to obtain a maximum of 2 techs each round.

That makes sense. It is more a problem with the variant tech tree than with the whole BGGB rules. The tree puts Neural Computing at tier 1 and even makes it Jol-Nar Starting Tech option.
I think I'll use the rule that you suggest in my games for now just to see how much it affects Jol-Nar. If the effect is too detrimental, we'll have to think of something else but I think this could work.

I also remembered to add the Arborec Spore Acceleration house rule that was used in BGGB14 to the new version:

shaunm wrote:
In addition, a custom rule regarding Arborec's racial tech Spore Acceleration (SpA) is in place:
SpA may be researched for a cost of 5 resources in addition to any tech acquired during the same round. So with tech primary you could get a free tech and SpA for 5 resources (or 2 techs + SpA for 0+5+8=13 res), with tech secondary any tech and SpA for 6+5=11 resources (or cheaper if using discounts from tech specialties). Neural Computing further reduces the cost by 2 resources as usual.

The house rules are now in a shape, in which I'd like to test them. Barring further discussion, I will start a new BGGB in a week or two, depending on the progress of the RAW game that I just started.

Edit: Sorry, pre-emptive post. Now, the rules are up to date.

September 10th, 2014, 7:00 pm

I have a curiosity. I remember when the ti3wiki was up and running, 90% of the actives games had a common rule about Dreadnaught that they all had 2 shots at 5+.

Is it the case here or nobody use this house rule?

September 19th, 2014, 1:47 pm
Reply to topic   [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next