View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently August 19th, 2017, 3:45 am

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 Creuss Wormhole Generator 
Veteran Game Master
Veteran Game Master

The following situation arose in the game I am GM'ing "For The Empire":

Creuss wants to move his slave A wormhole into the Cormund system where he has a ship but Jol Nar controls the Planet with a Control Marker. Is this a legal move or not?

July 21st, 2017, 5:13 pm

Strictly RAW speaking, the system is not friendly or empty by definition. So it is not eligible for wormhole generation.

July 21st, 2017, 6:18 pm
Novice Game Master
Novice Game Master

I'm not so sure, I do not believe the rules define a "Friendly System". Page 6 of the rule book defines a 'Friendly Unit' and 'Friendly Planet'.

However page 14 of the FAQ reads

Q: When using Creuss’ Slave Wormhole Generator, what qualifies as a “friendly” system?
A: A friendly system is a system containing any number of that player’s units or Control Markers

This response makes no mention to enemy units or control markers being present. If you went with this literal interpretation, you could own a planet with a space dock and it could be blockaded and the system would still be considered "friendly" to both players. Thematically this does not seem right, but as the FAQ response is written it would be.

Q10 - Death Wish: The Lazax
Time to Die: Emirates of Hacan
Epic Imperium - Federation of Sol (MGR)
War in the Heavens - Jake and the Neverland Pirates (MGR)

July 21st, 2017, 8:27 pm
Veteran Game Master
Veteran Game Master

But the definition of a system is both the Space AND the Planets. So a friendly system would have to have one person controlling both. Otherwise the system is not controlled by anyone.

July 21st, 2017, 8:30 pm
Novice Game Master
Novice Game Master

I don't think you need to control the system for it to be friendly. It seems reasonable that if you have a system with a neutral planet and you have ships there the system could be considered friendly, but you do not control the system. This would satisfy both the rule definition of a system you control and the FAQ definition of a 'friendly' system.

The same would be true of a system if you have units on the planet but no ships in space. By both the rule book definition of system you control, and the FAQ definition of a friendly system, that system would be friendly but you wouldn't control it. I think that is reasonable thematically and by the wording of the rules. I know to CONTROL a system you must control the planets and the space around them, hence control the planets and have at least one ship there.

But I think I case could be made that the term 'friendly' does not work that way. Though it could also be written off as an oversight an bad wording. But if you go by just what is written in the rules and FAQ, the question was asked and they made no mention of needing to control both planet and space, or the absence of enemy units.

July 21st, 2017, 8:50 pm
Veteran Game Master
Veteran Game Master

But on page 10 of the base rules "Friendly" and "Enemy" are clearly defined.

July 21st, 2017, 9:30 pm
Novice Game Master
Novice Game Master

[quote=Rule Book, Pg10 ]
“Friendly“ and “Enemy“ When the cards and rules of TI refer to a “friendly” unit or planet, it refers to a unit or planet belonging to you (i.e., a single player). Although you may have an alliance or be personally friendly with another player, for the purposes of TI rules, only your own units and planets are “friendly.“
When the rules refer to an “enemy” planet or unit, it refers to any unit or planet not controlled by you (i.e., controlled by any other player). Even though you may have an alliance with another player, and even though you may consider the other players your personal friends, for the purposes of TI rules, the units and planets of other players are considered “enemy.”
[/quote]

Yes but only in the context of units and planets. The FAQ seems to imply a definition of friendly System that is different and distinct from a system you control.

July 21st, 2017, 9:58 pm

Good find.

The FAQ clearly states "or", so it is eligible for wormhole generation then.

We should assume that the FAQ supersedes the rulebooks.
Especially since Creuss comes with the shard of the throne expansion, it's very likely that the core rulebook's definitions did not take account of the Creuss's slave wormhole tech.

July 22nd, 2017, 2:36 am
Veteran Game Master
Veteran Game Master

No the Faq just are intended to specify that you may place the WH if you control only the planet.

Try to intend the opposite is just a cheap interpretation.

A system where another player controls the planet(s) is an enemy system.

July 22nd, 2017, 8:39 am
Veteran Game Master
Veteran Game Master

I followed the corresponding thread in the game itself. Apparently the question was fielded to FFG and an answer was given.

garfielder wrote:
Got my answer from FFG.

Here is the question:

Rules Question:

Greetings. I have a question about creuss wormhole generator technology. In FAQ it has following Q: When using Creuss’ Slave Wormhole Generator, what qualifies as a “ friendly” system? A: A friendly system is a system containing any number of that player’s units or Control Markers. Can you please confirm to me that I understand this correctly based on following example what are friendly systems to creuss are which one are not.
1.) System with no planets and one Creuss ship.
2.) System with planet that has Jol-Nar controll marker and no ships.
3.) System with planet that has Jol-Nar controll marker and creuss ship.
4.) System with 2 planets with creuss control markers and jol-nar ship.
5.) System with 2 planets with creuss control markers and no ships.
6) System with 2 planets. One with creuss control marker and one with jol-nar control markers and no ships.
7.) System with 2 planets. One with creuss control marker and one with jol-nar control markers and creuss ships.
8.) Nebula system without planets with creuss ship.
9.) Ion storm system without planets and creuss ship in it.
10.) System with neutral planet and creuss ship in it. Thank you very much.

And this is the answer I got:

Date: Mon, Jul 24, 2017 at 9:46 AM
Subject: Re: Fantasy Flight Games [Rules Questions] - Twilight Imperium Third Edition: 2017-07-21 12:56:35
To: "s198207@gmail.com" <s198207@gmail.com>

Hey Fedor!
All of the scenarios you listed appear to me to be viable systems for the Salve Wormhole Generator. By number, here is how I evaluate them. If you have any further questions, let me know.
1) Friendly
2) Empty
3) Friendly
4) Friendly
5) Empty/Friendly
6) Empty/Friendly
7) Friendly
8) Friendly
9) Friendly
10) Friendly
Have a good day,
–––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––
Dane Beltrami
Game Developer
dbeltrami@fantasyflightgames.com

> On Jul 21, 2017, at 12:56 PM, no-reply@fantasyflightgames.com wrote:
>
> Message from:
> fedor syagin
>
>
> E-mail:
> s198207@gmail.com
>
>
>

I think most of this makes sense given the ruling on what constitutes Friendly in the FAQ. That being said, I still think it is goofy that all these scenarios are valid, but a nebula without a Creuss ship or control marker is invalid because red bordered systems cannot be considered empty. Oh well.

July 24th, 2017, 3:19 pm
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]